Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
From 1 April 2018, the charges are:
- Prescription charge (per item): £8.80
- 3-month Prescription Prepayment Certificate: £29.10
This saves money for anyone who has to pay for prescriptions and who requires more than 3 items per month.
- 12-month Prescription Prepayment Certificate has not increased and remains at £104.00
This saves money for anyone who has to pay for prescriptions and who requires 12 items or more in 12 months.
- Telephone advice and order line 0300 330 1341
- General Public – Buy or Renew a PPC Online